Have you ever heard a line in a song and just thought…”damn.” Sure, the melody of the song, the rhythm, and the beat play huge roles in its success, but the lyrics give the music life. It infuses the song with poetry that speaks to us and tugs at our heartstrings. Songs are like pages ripped out of our lives and the lyrics are the words on the page; it’s no wonder that we’re drawn to them. Like books, they bring comfort by showing us that someone else felt the same way we did. I’m sure we all have our own favorite lines of poetry inscribed in our hearts, but here are 10 lines from song lyrics that speak to me personally. A quick disclaimer: I am in love with hundreds of lyrics, so these are just a few selections from a vast collection. They aren’t necessarily my top 10 favorites, although they’re pretty high up on the list.
1. Fairytales don’t always have a happy ending do they? -Big Girls Don’t Cry, Fergie
2. When everything feels like the movies, yeah you bleed just to know you’re alive. -Iris, Goo Goo Dolls
3. Some birds are meant to be caged, and some just won’t see the light of day. -Luck, American Authors
4. All the bad boys are standing in the shadows, and the good girls are home with broken hearts. -Free Fallin’, John Mayer
5. Like a bird with broken wings, it’s not how high he flies but the song he sings. -Courage, Orianthi
6. I guess we fell apart in the usual way, and the story’s got dust on every page. -Holy Ground, Taylor Swift
7. We grew up way too fast and now there’s nothing to believe. Reruns have become our history. A tired song keeps playing on a tired radio, and I won’t tell no one your name. -Name, Goo Goo Dolls
8. These are the hands of fate. You’re my Achilles heel. This is the golden age of something good and right and real. -State of Grace, Taylor Swift
9. Rolled a lucky pair of dice, ended up in paradise. Landed on a snake’s eyes, took a bite, and ended up bleeding. -Eden, Sara Bareilles
10. We gladiate but I guess we’re really fighting ourselves. -Glory and Gore, Lorde
Making this list has been a lot of fun and I definitely encourage you to do a little soul-searching and make your own “10 favorite lyrics” list. In fact, I might make this a regular post since I have so many more lines I’d love to share. I realize both Goo Goo Dolls and Taylor Swift appear on this list twice and I’ll explain: Goo Goo Dolls is my favorite band and I’m actually ridiculously lucky I got to see them live this summer on their Goo Goo Dolls/Daughtry/Plain White T’s tour. They’re part of the reason why I feel like I was born in the wrong generation and I should have been a 90s kid. And Taylor Swift? Well, c’mon, I’m a teenage girl. I need my Taylor Swift lyrics.
Thanks for reading and have a nice day! xox